Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Cloth Diapers!

So, I have realized that I love to sew NEW things. I have a possibly very exciting opportunity coming up (so stay tuned!!) and so I have trying out some new products. I have always wanted to try to make cloth diapers, but didn't really want to do cloth with my son, because I hope he will be potty trained soon. But with this new opportunity I thought cloth diapers would be a great product, and I need someone to test the products. And, since the Lil' man doesn't seem to be too interested in potty training, its back to cloth diapers. I started using cloth diapers when Miss R. turned 1 year old, but since she was potty trained by 2 and a half, we didn't use them for very long. When the Lil' man came along, the diapers I had leaked on him. I think that was more due to the fact that I did not take care of the diapers that Miss R had used. So I sacked the idea and went to disposable.

The first time I went from disposable to cloth, I didn't really notice the "extra" work. Yes you have to rinse them out in the toilet and that can be really gross, and there is the extra laundry loads, but if you have a pair of gloves in the bathroom the toilet dunking is less gross, and the extra laundry loads actually helped me stay on top of laundry. My husband likes to joke that I only do laundry once a month, but I know for a fact he does not have enough underwear to last him a whole month.

Anyway, back to cloth diapers. I had seen some cute fabric at Joanns for cloth diapers and decided to try it out. A friend gave me a bunch of coupons and I bought all the supplies I needed to make a few and see. Here are the first ones I have made.



As you can see, they are just a simple "pocket" diaper. Not a true pocket diaper, but small pockets at the front and back and then you place the insert in the pockets! So it can also be just a diaper cover too. You could use a pre-fold, with pins and all if you wanted to, and put this over the top. The cover is made of PUL waterproof fabric. The snaps make the size adjustable, however, these shown are still a size medium, for babies 15lbs-30lbs. I bought a book with several more styles that I have not had a chance to try out yet, but I will definitely let you all know when I do!!

So EXCITING sewing new things! And since these are fairly easy to make, i can make them pretty quickly. About 1 hour to cut out, put snaps on and but the elastic around the edge!! I LOVE it!

So, I hope you all are ready for Christmas! I will include one more picture of the dress I made for my niece for Christmas. 
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment