Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pockets and a "Bite Me" skirt!

I have had the most wonderful day. My husband has kept track of the kids most of the day so I could do projects and fun things!! So here is what I did today.
I finally added pockets to my  Liverpool Dress:
I just made some patch pockets and I did put them at an angle as suggested by my friend Kathy Kluthe. I used the pocket instructions from Amy Butlers rain coat pattern for a gathered pocket. I thought I could figure it out, but whenever I do this, the shape of the pocket comes out wonky. So lately, if i am trying something different than the pattern says, I try to find another pattern with pieces and instructions. Anyway, the pockets is for the girls size 8-14, but it worked for what I wanted on my dress.
And, since my wonderful husband was watching the kids, I was able to do a little shopping and I found great boots at Kohl's. They totally make the whole outfit. This is what I am wearing to church tomorrow, minus the hat, but it was needed for the picture as it is Saturday and I didn't fix my hair.
Then, earlier this week I received some fabric in the mail. I had to order some more of a fabric called Downtown which I am using for the Empire Evening dress. And while shopping at uberstitch on etsy, I found some fabric called Bite Me and I had to get it. I couldn't help it. The name of the fabric was so appealing that I had to get a 1/2 yard. I didn't even know what I would make with it but I bought it!!
So, I decided to make a skirt out of it, for me. Usually a 1/2 yard is not enough for a skirt, but I couldn't resist making a Bite Me skirt! It is just a simple short A-line, but I think it turned out pretty good.
I made a bais tape waist band that I learned in Diana Rupp's Sewing Studio class offered on Craftsy.com. Its easy and very stable. Then, since it was already kinda short, I put bais tape around the bottom instead of a hem. It took me about 30 minutes from cut out to finish. I should have put my cowboy boots on for the picture, but I forgot.
So, I hope you all had a productive day as well. Have a wonderful evening!

1 comment:

  1. I like the Bite Me skirt - very cute. I bought some fabric like that with smaller apples to make a valance for my kitchen.

    ReplyDelete